Saturday, November 30, 2013

Birds at Elmendorf Lake, Autumn 2013, Part 1, A State of Flux

I wasn't able to spend as much time at Elmendorf Lake as I would have liked when this series of photographs was taken, but from what I observed in the time I had, the bird population is in a state of flux with the fall migration still in progress. Keep in mind, this was the day before the first major arctic cold front of the season moved through the area.

For the most part, the year round resident birds (Neotropic Cormorants and Great Egrets) dominated the population. However, a few of the winter residents have begun to settle in. A pair of American Coots were among these seasonal residents * :









This is the first of a three part series of photographs taken at Elmendorf Lake Park on Thursday, November 21, 2013.

Part 2
Part 3

* This links to the November 8th post, "A Bit of A Riddle," regarding the inconsistency between published range maps and the observed presence of the American Coot. I wasn't able to get a photograph of the Great Blue Heron I observed on this visit to Elmendorf Lake, but the same inconsistency also applies for this heron.

No comments:

Post a Comment