Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Lake

Monday, January 7, 2013

Elmendorf Lake Park, Elmendorf Lake Loop Trail

Today's photos:











This is the first time I have photographed at Elmendorf Lake since beginning While on a Walk. Oh, my! This walk was long overdue.

Elmendorf Lake is a small reservoir on Apache Creek on the westside of San Antonio. It is on the eastern boundary of the Our Lady of the Lake University campus. Elmendorf Lake is included in the Westside Creeks Restoration Project, but I'll go into more detail on that in an upcoming post.

This walk was a truly overwhelming, powerful experience for me. The ten photos presented above are a bare introduction to this experience. It is going to take me a while to get my head around it all and figure out the best way to post all the material. I have enough for at least three, and probably more, posts (including the next "Sunday Special Edition").

In this series of photos, there are a double-crested cormorant, a great blue heron, a huisache, an American coot, a great egretcoreopsis flowers and the Our Lady of the Lake University's Sacred Heart Conventual Chapel.

Update: In the original post the huisache was incorrectly identified as whitethorn acacia. They are very similar in many ways, but the thorns are distinctly different in the two species.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, from an OLLU grad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the OLLU grads, you're very welcome. My primary ties are with UIW, but I did take a class I thoroughly enjoyed at OLLU back in the late 1970s.

    ReplyDelete