Thursday, January 10, 2013

Encountering Turbulence

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

San Antonio River, Mission Reach, Confluence Park Trailhead
from the top of the Mitchell St bridge downstream
to the San Pedro Creek confluence

Today's photos:


















I never know with any certainty what I will encounter when I go out on my walks. However, what I did know with a great deal of certainty when I headed to the River today was that I would encounter high, turbulent water.

Over the past two days, a tad more than 2.5 inches of rain fell in San Antonio. If I was surprised by anything in particular, it was the relatively lower flow of water in San Pedro Creek which conveys the water from the westside creeks as it merges with the San Antonio River.

The swift flow and turbulence didn't phase the cormorants at all. One even managed to catch a fish in the turbid water. These birds are powerful swimmers capable of negotiating the rough currents. Meanwhile, mallards found refuge in quieter side pools.

Once again, there are at least a couple more posts of photos from this walk for future publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment