Saturday, January 12, 2013

Additional Miles of Trail to Walk

Friday, January 11, 2013

Leon Creek Greenway South, Arvil Ave Trailhead downstream
and a short segment on the east end of the upland loop trail

Today's photos:















On December 7, 2012, The San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department had the grand opening of the newest segment of the Leon Creek South Greenway. This new section adds an additional 2.6 miles to the Howard W. Peak Greenway Trail System, bringing the trail system to a total of 41 miles. On my walk today, I covered about three quarters of a mile of this new trail

The new section of trail has trailheads in Levi Strauss Park and at Rodriguez County Park. Access to the Arvil Ave trailhead is actually off of Rodriguez Rd at the entrance to the county park, not by way of Arvil Ave, as the low water crossing over the creek on Arvil Ave has been permanently closed.

Included in this set of photos are: a fox squirrel, an Eastern bluebird, a Great egret, a female Northern cardinal and a very active Northern mockingbird. The photographs also show a very healthy riparian ecosystem along this section of Leon Creek.

As I have mentioned; the more I learn, the more I see and the more I photograph. That was very true, once again, on this foggy Friday morning walk along Leon Creek. I have more photos from the walk remaining to be published in a future post.

This next week I have a very busy schedule planned. I will be in a class at the San Antonio Botanical Garden all week (learning even more). I don't foresee having time for my walks during the week. So, as something of a heads up, I will be posting as many photos from my recent walks as I can throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment