Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Birds of Crescent Bend, Part 1

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

While I was walking at Crescent Bend Nature Park yesterday, birds of numerous species were very active. There were so many, it will require two or three posts to present all the photos.

This series begins with a black vulture. I have yet to positively identify the second bird in the series (photos four and five)*. I have a feeling it should be fairly easy to come up with a positive id, but I'm not comfortable saying what I think it is at this point. The third bird in the series is a northern flicker. After the flicker are two northern mockingbirds (the state bird of Texas):
















* Update: Wednesday, December 19, 2012

With a little help from a friend and some more research, I am now confident enough to say that the bird in the fourth and fifth photo is a female yellow-rumped warbler. The illustrations in the two bird field guides I use left me doubting the id, but after comparing it to numerous photos online, I have little doubt that's what this bird is.

Field guides have there limitations because there is always more variation in nature than they can illustrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment