Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rock Squirrels

During my walk on Friday, September 2, along the Leon Creek Greenway north of O. P. Schnabel Park, the same one where I photographed the olive-sided flycatcher, I was walking below a fairly high cliff that is on the west side of the creek bed. The arrangement of three trees partway up the side of the cliff caught my eye and I took a photo using the 70 mm setting on the telephoto lens:


After seeing the photo on the LCD screen, I decided I wanted a wider angle view to include more of the rock face than the 70 mm setting allowed, so I changed to the wide angle zoom lens:


There was a very subtle change in the subject while I was looking at the camera changing the lens. I didn't notice this small change at first. I took a couple more photos using different focal lengths on the wide angle zoom lens. At some point I did notice what appeared to be a short, dark stump on the right side of the base of the tree to the left of center. I assumed it was inanimate because it didn't move at all while I was taking the photos.

All of a sudden it did move and I quickly switched back to the telephoto zoom:


It was an animal after all. I followed it for sometime taking a series of photos:








Eventually, it headed to the cliff and scampered up the rock face with great ease where it was joined by another:





And finally, it ducked out of sight:


It certainly looked like a squirrel, but it was huge, about the size of a small house cat. It was considerably bigger than the more common fox squirrel.

These are rock squirrels. The adult is about eighteen inches long from nose to the tip of the tail. They primarily live in rocky areas and are quite adept rock climbers. In Bexar County they are found in the northwest section where the Hill Country environment provides an ideal habitat.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of-- or seen-- a rock squirrel before your photographs and post. Your blog is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Courtenay. The only place I have seen rock squirrels before was in the Pecos River area and they had a somewhat lighter color. Apparently the ones that live in South Central Texas are the only ones that have the very dark brown color. I didn't know there were any living in and around Bexar County and was very surprised to encounter them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very nice rock squirrel pictures. We live just on the other side of the Leon Creek Greenway. Years ago, we had rock squirrels on our property and then for several years they seemed to have disappeared. This year (2012), however, it seems that they have returned in large numbers. I see many of them every single day now. I enjoy watching all of my squirrels, deer, and birds! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,

    I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I haven't had a chance to get back to that section of Leon Creek yet this year, but now I am really looking forward to seeing again the rock squirrels and everything else that section of the creek offers. That is definitely one of the most beautiful natural areas in Bexar County.

    ReplyDelete